The two islands of Caprolace lagoon had been archaeologically known since 2007 (Alessandri 2007). The ceramic was collected in the water, around the northern island and dated to the Bronze Age (from Middle to Recent phases, around 1700-1200). In the autumn of 2017, a join excavation of the University of Groningen and the University of Rome Tor Vergata took place in both islands. The lagoon is a Site of Community Importance (n. IT6040012), so the excavation had to respect the rules imposed by the relevant authorities. Seven soundings were carried out both on the northern island and on the southern island. Potsherds were also collected in the adjacent shallow waters at different places. All the archaeological finds are now stored at the Archaeology Laboratory of the University of Tor Vergata (Rome, Italy).
The aim was to assess the presence/absence of the Avellino eruption tephra and to investigate the cultural aspects of the Bronze Age pottery. However, in both islands also traces of ancient salt-production were found, which become a spin-off line of research.